Friday, November 15, 2013

What's in the baaaaag??!?!?!

Some people have noticed a red pouch I carry with me everywhere. I Love this bag. It was made by a lady I met on The Mastocytosis Society's Facebook page. I can't remember her name but as soon as I find out I will add her contact info here for anyone wanting to buy one. Edit: Her name is Peg Dixon Kleve 

It is made out of neoprene and has a red cross on the front that says Mast Cell Disease, Epi Inside.
My water bottle and red medicine bag
It has almost everything I need in an emergency in one place. TMSforacure.org has a great tab for people with Mastocytosis or MCAD, click on Patients and it will list many things you should do, documents you should have on you, etc. I call these Masto Musts.

Masto Must #1: Have water on you at all times. I got a square water bottle and carry it around everywhere with me. Someone who is sensitive to plastic could not use this bottle because the lid and base are not aluminum. Someone sensitive to metals would have problems with it too. I seem to be fine with it. I drink only filtered water from my water bottle now, because one time I drank water out of a glass and started to go into anaphilaxis because it had a tiny bit of someone else's drink in it, and I missed it. I drank about half the glass of water before I realized it was the problem. Since then I have only drank out of my own glass or water bottle. 

 
The contents of this little bag 11-15-13
Masto Must #2: My doctor would probably put these in the reverse order, but for me, this is have at least 2 Epi pens within arms reach at all times. Some people wear a holster that they carry their Epi pens in. I sometimes wear one on my belt that my buddy Sean Bowling made me out of super hero duct tape, and I have a few fabric designs I'm working on that I'll be making some out of that will match some masks I"m making based on my art, and specifically my series Masto Maybelle and Friends. But mainly I like my Auvi-q Epi to just be in this bag.

Which brings me to what else is in my little red bag. The TMS Emergency Protocol Brochure, a note from my doctor on his prescription pad of which tests must be done if I end up in the ER (last time the doctor made a copy of it, then never ordered the tests) Benedryl dye free gel caps, a bottle of hydroxyzine and a bottle of prednisone, a vogmask, and a migraine stay kool head patch. Sometimes I also tuck my wallet in there, it's just convenient. Friends tease me that it is my man bag, but it has everything in  it that I need to save my life if I react to something, and I'm cool with that.

Where do you carry your Epi pens? What else do you always have on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment